Motorola having decided to withdraw its legal challenge
to the award of BSNL''s contracts that eliminated it in
the bid process for supply of equipment to BSNL in October
Ericsson, Nokia oust Motorola to emerge lowest bidders
for BSNL''s GSM tender), Ericsson and Nokia are
set to bag the Rs22,000 (approximately $5-billion) contract.
today said that it was withdrawing its case and looked
forward to its continued partnership with BSNL. The US
firm said the withdrawal did not reflect any change from
its stand on the tender award.
global telecom equipment suppliers - Ericsson, Nokia,
Motorola, Siemens and ZTE Corp - had submitted financial
bids for the BSNL tender, out of 18 who had shown an interest.
Later, Motorola and ZTL Corp had been eliminated during
filed a case in the Delhi High Court on Monday against
BSNL, seeking an explanation for its disqualification.
Motorola also questioned the move to allowing Nokia and
Siemens to bid separately even though the two companies
are being merged.
Bids for the 45.5 million GSM lines contract were ordered
by the court to be put on hold.
February 2007, Motorola turned down BSNL''s offer to reserve
60-per cent of the contract pending the court judgement
and be allowed to award the remaining contract (See:
Motorola turns down BSNL''s
offer on cellular contract)
Motorola''s decision to withdraw its legal challenge, Ericsson,
which emerged the lowest bidder at $107 per line will
get 60 per cent of the contract, followed by Nokia getting
India''s top telecom company and third largest cellular
company, which has a presence in 21 of the 23 telecom
circles, has been facing a critical shortage of GSM equipment
that has led to it being overtaken by private sector rivals
Bharti Airtel Ltd. and Reliance Communications Ltd, both
of whom have presence in all the 23 circles.